top of page


Things to know following an accident

  • What do I do first?
    Check for injuries. Life and health are more important than damage to vehicles. Make note of specific damages to all vehicles involved. Collect information from the other driver(s). Call the police, even if the accident is minor. Collect witness’s contact information.
  • What information should I collect at the scene of an accident?
    The date, time and location of the accident. The other driver’s name, address, date of birth, telephone number, driver’s license number and expirations date, and insurance company. The other car’s make, year, model, license plate number and expiration date, and vehicle identification number. The names, addresses, telephone numbers and insurance companies of the other car’s legal and registered owners – if the driver does not own the car. The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of any passengers in the other car. The names, addresses and telephone numbers of witnesses to the accident. Ask them to stay to talk to the police. If they insist on leaving, ask them to tell you what they saw and write everything down. Capture a lot of photo's of the scene for future claims
  • Do I have the right to select the shop that will repair my vehicle?
    Yes. You have the right to select the repair shop of choice. In many situations your Insurance Company will try to get you to use on of their certified / approved shops, but you do have to make the ultimate decision of where you would like to have your vehicle repaired. Once you have made your decision, be sure to notify your Insurance Company or Agent. If the vehicle is not at the shop of choice, ask for it to be brought to that shop.
  • Who is responsible for the repairs?
    The Auto Body shop is responsible for the repairs. It is important that you select a repair shop that has professionally trained technicians and state of the art facilities to restore your vehicle to its pre-accident condition. Capital Collision Centre has a highly trained and experienced team on site that will ensure that your vehicle gets the proper care and service it requires.
  • Do I have to report the accident?
    You should always contact the police if you are in an accident, no matter how minor.
  • Who pays for the damages?
    If you are to blame for an accident, your liability insurance will pay the other driver for property damage and personal injuries up to your policy’s limits. If you are not at fault, the other drivers liability insurance pays for your car damage and/or personal injuries. Contact your insurance provider as soon as possible after an accident for clarification on this matter.
bottom of page